Read all of these basic safety precautions before starting to work on any of the motors. Failure to do so may result in personal injury, fire, and electric shock.
- You should always keep your work area clean and well lit.
- All motors include many small parts; keep very young children away from your work area.
- Motors spin very fast; always wear safety goggles.
- Super Glue, provided with most of the kits, is “instant bonding”. Point tube away from face and body. Do not squeeze while opening.
- The T-pin and pushpin are sharp, be careful not to poke yourself.
- Do not leave the motor unattended.
- If you leave the battery shorted for a long period of time it may rupture or even explode.
- Do not exceed 12 Volts to power the motors. You may get an electric shock. High voltages may also cause parts to overheat and create a fire.
- If the current flowing through the transistor is big, it may get very hot. Do not touch it to prevent burns.
- The soldering iron gets very hot! Be very careful with this tool, as it is easy to burn yourself with it.
- Health hazard warning: Solder may contain lead. It is not suitable for small children.
These motor kits should not be used by anyone younger than 13 years old without adult supervision.
Hi. I’m using a 5V wall adaptor capable of 2000 mA connected up to a motor capable of pulling 250mA. It is a direct connection with no diodes or caps or anything, it is merely going through a 2.5 mm PCB power jack. Can I get electrocuted? You say that above 12V I can, but it is not. Please inform!
Generally it should be safe if there is no malfunctioning in wall adaptor (it is highly unlikely though). If you touch the contacts with 5 Volts output there will be a current going through your body. The value of it is equal to voltage (5 V) divided by your body resistance. Even if your body is wet this current will be too small to feel it. Yes, the adaptor is capable of 2 A output but the current going through your body is not going to be even remotely close to it. Practically it is the same as touching the battery (like 3 AA batteries in serial connection).
Well, I’m an inexperienced DIYer, whenever I have to use a power tool in my projects, I’m a little scared. Because I’m afraid I’d missed some important safety rule. I’ll follow your advices the next time I use power tools, thank you so much!